Zuma charges: ANC ‘has full confidence’

Jacob Zuma

The African National Congress (ANC) has noted the decision of the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) to dismiss the appeal brought by President Jacob Zuma and the National Prosecuting Authority in relation to the reinstatement of corruption charges against the President.

The ANC said in a statement released at the weekend that: The ANC has full confidence in our judiciary and the options it offers to all aggrieved parties. Accordingly, the ANC will study the judgment and await further decisions from the affected parties before making a comprehensive statement on this matter.

The Cape Messenger reported last Friday that it was an unlucky Friday the 13th for President Zuma.

This followed the Supreme Court of Appeal ruling on the protracted so-called spy tapes saga. The Cape Messenger reported that the president is finally going to be forced to face 783 charges of corruption, fraud and racketeering. Subject to prosecutions boss Shaun Abrahams taking Zuma to court, this could be Lucky Friday for South Africa.

At a press conference in Pretoria, Democratic Alliance leader Mmusi Maimane said that after almost a decade of “ducking and diving”, and squandering millions of rands of public money on his own legal fees, President Jacob Zuma will now face 783 charges.” He described this as effectively “stealing the people’s money”.

While the eNCA tried to interview ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe – he refused to comment on the judgment – Maimane said that the judgement was “a win for justice, the rule of law and for South Africa”. He said the law applied to all “regardless of status”.

Ahead of time, Maimane had been optimistic about a legal breakthrough, Maimane said: “While this legal battle to hold President Zuma accountable for the 783 charges against him has been ongoing for close to a decade now, we trust that the judgment brings us a step closer to ensuring justice can run its course.”

The Supreme Court of appeal dismissed an appeal by the National Prosecuting Authority and President Jacob Zuma against a high court order. This has set aside the decision to withdraw charges against the president.

Significantly ANN7, a mouthpiece of the Zupta clan in government, was demure about the judgment. Gone were the screaming headlines that normally apply to bad news about opposition politicians and “white monopoly capital” business people.

EWN reported that the High Court in Pretoria ruled this year that the 2009 decision to withdraw the charges was irrational. It set the decision aside. This effectively reinstated the charges against the president.

EWN reported that it was found that former prosecutions boss Mokotedi Mpshe withdrew criminal charges against Zuma in 2009 after considering the so-called spy tapes. It appears that Mpshe relied on an incorrect provision in the law.

The DA leader said that he would be writing to Shaun Abrahams, the National Director of Public Prosecutions, insisting that Zuma “is served with an indictment and appears in court at the soonest available date”.

He urged Zuma not to delay the legal processes further. “Stop wasting public funds through lengthy legal appeals.”

 

Be the first to comment on "Zuma charges: ANC ‘has full confidence’"

Leave a comment